Wednesday 12 February 2014

The Lynxxx Effect

             The Lynxxx Effect


Lynxxx exploded onto the Nigerian music scene in 2009 with his debut single, 'Change Your Parade'. From that point on there was no looking back. For artist, style icon and co-owner of Syndik8 Records, his success wasn't by chance and his love for music started way before he found fame and became one of the most talked about artists in the Nigerian music industry. Fresh of the back of a Pepsi endorsement and on an insanely busy schedule, Lynxx found the time to talk to Eden Lifestyle about his music and how he manages to stay in such tremendous shape.


When did you decide to get into music, or has it always been in your system?
A: Music has always been something I've loved, its always been a part of my life because what ever I am doing, I would most likely have music playing in the background. I had my 1st studio experience as far back as 1998, at the Even Ezra studio in Victoria Island by Mobil Station Maroko. I used to be in a group with a few friends called SECT (which was formed out of our 4 initials and I represented the C) but that didn't last long.

Fast forward to 2004, after numerous meetings with certain Label heads turning us down saying our music isn't marketable here in Nigeria, a few friends of mine headed by (my business partner / producer) Ikon & I, decided to start our own movement and record company which today is know as Syndik8 Records because it was up to us to take matters into our own hands. Under the Syndik8 Label, we released a series of Mixtapes online and got hundreds of thousands of plays on our myspace page. In 2008 we built a Digital recording studio in ParkView Estate Lagos called "The Syndik8 RedRoom Studio" and produced for a host of artists from the likes of Ikechukwu, Naeto c, Saucekid, Sasha and the list goes on.

In 2009 I decided to move back from the UK to Nigeria because I felt it was time to officially give the industry a try, and fortunately I made my Debut hit single "Change Ur Parade" and the rest is history.



Did your family support the decision to be an artist?
A: Fortunately for me, I am known for being a relentless business man, so when I decided to do music full time, I got the full support from the family, which is all you need to bring out the best in you and I am grateful for the support they give me.

You are in pretty good shape, do you have to work at it or are you naturally fit?
A: Lol, a lot of people don't know this but until late 2007 I was a very skinny guy! I started working out mid 2007, and literally lived in the gym and then results began coming along and I just haven't stopped. I may slow down on my exercise when I get really busy but I never stop working out. I try my best to always be in shape.

Tell us what your average workout session is like. How often do you exercise?
A: I exercise at least 3 times a week but on average I try to workout no less than 5 times a week.

Do you watch what you eat?
A: It varies, on tour you have no choice but to eat whenever you can because of the crazy schedules and hard work involved. But when I'm at home I try not to get into the habit of sodas and junk cos we all love the unhealthy things in life which just taste so good lol. So when I feel like I am putting on too much weight and I'm getting carried away , I caution myself and get a strict diet in order.

What are your weaknesses in the food department?
A: Sodas, and junk food in general. Shawarmas , cake and general fastfood. I'm always on the go so its more convenient to stop and grab fastfood but we all know the repercussions.


We saw you show ur basketball skills at the recent celebrity faceoff, do you have a sports background? Do you play any sports now?
A: Funny enough I hadn't played basket ball for over 6years before that day. I used to back in the day but I've been very rusty in recent years unfortunately.

What do you do to relax?
A: I usually just pop in a movie and chill out, or listen to some good rnb or soul music. I hardly sleep so that's something I try to catch up on when I'm idle.

What motivates you to get up and go, especially on 'i wanna stay in bed' days?
A: Very simple, the fear of failure & the guilt of being lazy when you know your colleagues are out there getting the work in.


Your live performances are quite energetic, how do you prepare for a show?
A: I just stay calm and composed before I hit the stage, and when I eventually do I then get this sudden energy rush and I go into this personal arena where I can't see anyone but just strive to put on a good show for the audience.

Do you feel more pressure to stay in shape for your work?
A: Yes I do because more often than not people talk about my physique so it puts pressure on me to stay in shape and not lose the brand identity the supporters love.


You're becoming quite the style icon, do you think men should care about how they look?
A: I believe everyone should always care about the appearance. Speaking for myself, my appearance plays a big roll in my confidence. The more comfortable you look and feel the more confident you are and who knows what opportunities something as simple as your appearance may open?

What's your favourite thing in your wardrobe?
A: Hmmm.... That would probably be my host of suits, in different colors, patterns and fits. I'm a GQ kinda guy, I like to look sharp.

What advice do you have for aspiring artists that want to emulate your success.
A: Just be your self, always remain grounded most especially after the success, be original and don't let what people say about you affect your goal or originality and lastly, Put God 1st.

Thank you so much for your time, and may God continue to bless your hustle

Lynxx's new single, 'Fine Lady ft Wizkid' is out now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment