Wednesday 3 September 2014

THE BODY BUILDER TRAINING ROUTINE

The Muscle Workout

For each muscle group I do 2 or 3 different exercises, each exercise targeting the muscle from a different angle. Every week, I start my muscle workouts with a different exercise because I believe that the first exercise is always the most productive one. Basically I always do 4 sets of each exercise targeting 10 quality repetitions (reps). I limit my rest between consecutive exercises for the same muscle group to about 1 or maximum 2 minutes in order to keep my muscle pump and to maximize the intensity of the workout.
Let's take a look at what I do for each individual muscle group.

Chest

I do 3 different exercises for my pectorals (pecs). One will target the upper part of the pecs (inclined bench), one the middle part of the pecs (flat bench), and one the lower part of the pecs (declined bench), and I change the order each workout. Most of the time I use dumbbells (flyes or presses) as I feel that they work best for me, but barbell presses are also very effective for most people. Sometimes I add cable crossovers at the beginning or end of my chest workout. Cable crossover is a very good isolation exercise for the pecs.

Abdominals

While many body builders train their abs multiple times per week with many sets and high reps, my abs seem to respond best if I train them like any other muscle. I train them once per week with 2 exercises, each consisting of 4 sets of 10 - 16 reps. I always do one exercise for the upper abs (crunches), and one for the lower part of the abs (leg raises), changing their order every workout.

Forearms

I end my first workout always with one exercise for the outer part of my forearms. I don't separately train the inner part of my forearms as they get enough intensity during my heavy upper back workouts.

Shoulders

I do 3 different exercises for my deltoids (delts). One will target the front part of the delts, one the middle part, and one the rear part. I used to do lots of dumbbell presses for my shoulders when I was a teenager. However, now I prefer standing dumbbell raises (front, lateral, and bent-over) as they isolate the delts better. I rotate the order every workout.

Upper trapezius

I always follow my deltoid exercises with one exercise (shrugs) for the upper part of the trapezius (trap) muscle, which is located between the neck and the shoulders. Since I only do one isolation exercise for the upper trapezius I usually do 6 sets of 10 - 15 reps.

Triceps

The triceps muscle has three heads. Therefore, I do 3 exercises for my triceps, each targeting another part (inner/middle/outer) of the muscle. I rotate the order every workout.

Upper and middle back

The back is a complex group of big muscles. I do 3 or 4 different exercises to train my complete upper and middle back. One exercise targets the upper part of the latissimus (lats) (wide grip pulldown), one the lower part of the lats (narrow grip pulldown), and one or two that target the trapezius muscle between the shoulder blades (rows). I change the order every workout.

Biceps

As my biceps usually already have quite a pump after my heavy upper back workout, I immediately proceed with 2 exercises for my biceps, each targeting the muscle from a slightly different angle to make sure that the inside as well as the outside head of the muscle gets fully developed.

Hamstrings

The hamstrings are a complex and strong group of muscles at the rear side of the leg. I usually do 3 different exercises for my hamstrings, each targeting the muscle in a slightly different way.

Lower back

As my lower back usually already has quite a pump after my heavy hamstring workout, I immediately proceed with 1 exercise for my lower back.

Calves

As the calves are formed by two different muscles (gastrocnemius and soleus), I do 2 different exercises for my calves, one targeting the gastrocnemius (standing calf raises) and one targeting the soleus (seated calf raises).

Quadriceps

The quadriceps is a big, strong, and complex muscle group at the front side of the thigh. The quadriceps workout is without any doubt the toughest of all, and completely drains all energy from you. Before my lower back injury I used to do 3 exercises for my quads, usually 2 heavy ones (a squat movement and a leg press) followed by one lighter exercise (leg extensions or sissy squat). Now I prefer to start with one-leg hack squats (this keeps the heavy weights from my back) or one-leg leg presses, followed by leg extensions. Doing the hack squat first with one leg and then with the other, allows me to completely focus all my power on one leg at a time. The hack squat is an excellent quad builder.

Inner and outer thighs

I finish my leg workout with 2 exercises, one to build my inner thighs (thigh adductor), and another for the outer thighs and glutes (thigh abductor).

0 comments:

Post a Comment