Wednesday 3 September 2014

WORKING TIPS: THE SET AND DROP SET

The Set

A set that is optimized for muscle growth stimulation should be an uninterrupted series of about 10 quality reps, potentially followed by a few additional forced or partial reps. In order to optimize the intensity of the set, which is essential in stimulating muscle growth, the principle of continuous tension should be applied throughout the complete set. This basically means that there should be no moment of rest (muscle relaxation) between consecutive reps. Each individual rep obviously also follows the principle of continuous tension as explained in the paragraphs above.

I always do my sets with the heaviest possible weight that I think will allow me to do 10 quality reps. Depending on how well my estimate was, I may end up somewhere between 6 and 14 quality reps. As I train to failure in every set, I usually use the heaviest weights in the first set of my first exercise, and gradually go lighter set after set, as my muscles becomes more exhausted.
A full set of 10 quality reps usually takes me between 20 and 30 seconds to complete, however, it strongly depends on the exercise. Usually I only do forced and/or partial reps at the end of the last set of my exercise.

Drop Sets

Occasionally I finish my muscle workout with a few drop sets. This basically means that immediately after the last normal set of my last exercise I add a few extra sets (drop sets) of this exercise with progressively lighter weights. The rest between consecutive drop sets is kept minimal (a couple of seconds). In each of those drop sets I do as many reps as possible. Upon failure the weight is decreased again with 20% and without rest the next drop set is started. In total it may take about 3 drop sets before complete muscle exhaustion is reached.

0 comments:

Post a Comment